Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson
This film by Ken Burns chronicles the life and career of boxer Jack Johnson, the first African-American heavyweight champion and one of the greatest fighters of the 20th century. Johnson ultimately lost his title in a bout in Cuba in 1915, after fleeing the United States following his federal conviction for allegedly violating the Mann Act, a progressive-era law intended to crack down on commercialized vice but used against Johnson to create an example against, to quote the prosecutor, "the evils of miscegenation."
Monday, January 17 and Tuesday, January 18 at 9 pm on TV12 and DTV12.1
Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson to explore the Johnson v. Jeffries fight in depth, for articles, and to find out about Johnson's legacy today
More from WHYY:
- MUHAMMAD ALI clearly is the best-known athlete in the world, but his influence has reached far beyond the sports arena. We'll talk about Ali the boxer, role model and cultural icon, anti-war protestor, Black Muslin and more.
Listen | From Radio Times, 11/30/2001
- Boxer JACKIE FRAZIER-LYDE joins us to talk about her debut match and why in her late 30's she decided to take up her father's profession. Jackie is the daughter of former Heavyweight Champion Joe Frazier.
Listen | From Radio Times, 1/26/2000
- Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, the wrongly convicted boxer, is the subject of books, song and film. He joins Marty along with James Hirsch, author of "Hurricane - The Miraculous Journey of Rubin Carter." They'll talk about Carter's life and fight for freedom.
Listen | From Radio Times, 1/6/2000
- Celebrity boxing? What's next?
- We'll talk about what our facination with celebrities says about us. Our guest is ROBERT J. THOMPSON, president of the Popular Culture Association, now holding their annual convention in Toronto this week.
Listen | From Radio Times, 3/15/2002
- Professional Women's Boxing. We talk with LYNN SNOWDEN-PICKETT who jumped into the ring after a bitter divorce. Lynn is also a frequrent magazine writer and is a relationship columnist for AOL.
Listen | From Radio Times, 12/28/2000
- Philadelphia Boxing History
- The Blue Horizon Boxing Ring
Support authoritative history programming by making a pledge.