View, Do, Read
What is the View, Do, Read Model? To get the most from the TV you and your children watch, create a Ready To Learn learning triangle. A learning triangle is TV that teaches + storybooks + activities — all related to one theme or skill. The learning triangle can follow any order, at any time!
May 2013 — Martha Marks Mothers' & Memorial Day
By Krysanne Bryan, Educational Programs and Services Intern
May is another month in the year when we can be thankful for the things we have. We can be thankful for the sunshine that is beginning to show again, the flowers that make everything brighter, and the people in our lives that make the days better. May is a month when we celebrate the women in our lives and the soldiers that sacrifice theirs. With Mother's Day on May 12, and Memorial Day on May 27, we get two more opportunities to praise those who truly deserve it. We get a chance to gather our words in a way that sends a message; a message that says thank you for everything you do.
Martha is a dog that is never short for words. Ever since her 10 year old owner, Helen Lorraine, fed her some alphabet soup, Martha has had the ability to communicate with the people and animals around her. That, however, does not stop her from getting into some crazy situations. Using her abilities to communicate with people and animals, Martha is able to remedy any situation. By joining Martha in her everyday adventures, your child can discover new words that enhance their vocabulary and learn how to communicate effectively while having fun with Martha. Join Martha and her friends on Martha Speaks, weekdays at 7:30am on WHYY.
Mother's day is an extremely important holiday. Children can use it not only to celebrate their mothers, but all of the important women in their lives like their sisters, aunts and grandmothers as well. With so many important women in their lives, it can easily get pricy, which is why Mother's Day is the perfect time for kids to dive into arts & crafts and show their love with handmade gifts. Many gift ideas can be found online. They include, but are not limited to:
- Tissue Paper Flowers
- Popsicle Stick Frames
- Homemade Cards
- Pictures or Paintings
- Picture Book/ Photo Album
- Painted Flower Pots and Household Decorations
Mother's day is about showing a special woman in your life just how much she means to you. Whether it's through breakfast in bed, or just giving her the day off from her motherly duties, there's always a simple way to show how much you care.
There are many ways for kids to observe Memorial Day. Along with attending a parade, they can get creative and make their own American flags, or even learn the words to some our most well-known patriotic songs. One of the best ways to honor someone who is fighting hard in the armed forces is to send them a care package just to say thank you. Here are some care package ideas:
- Make a small "Thank-You" card or any sort of handmade craft to let them know you care.
- Help our soldiers stay entertained with gifts of board games, crossword puzzles, dvds or cds, and any sort of sports equipment!
- Give them stationary so they can write back to you or to their own families – paper, pens and blank post cards are always great ways to start! If the soldier is one from your own family, be sure to include some family photos so they can think of you while you're thinking of them.
- A first-aid kit and hygiene products are always necessities, you never know what may come in handy. Don't forget the little things either. Some new t-shirts and socks, water bottles, sunscreen and even batteries may help out more than you know.
- Of course, you should never forget that soldiers have to eat. If you're going to send food, send things that will last a while and are easy to eat such as Poptarts, peanuts, Rice Krispy treats, canned soups and whatever else you can think of.
There are many suggestions online that can help you put a care package together. Be sure to check the list of things that can't go into them as well!
- The Berenstain Bears and the Mama's Day Surprise by Jan & Stan Berenstain
What will papa bear and the cubs surprise mama bear with on Mother's day?!
- Memorial Day Surprise by Theresa Golding & Alexandra Artigas
It is Memorial Day and Marco's mama has a surprise for him! He's already excited to see the parade and all the Veterans marching in their uniforms, what else could Mama have in store?
- Little Critter: Happy Mother's Day! by Mercer Mayer
Just what does little critter have for his mother this Mother's Day?
- Memorial Day (Holidays, Festivals, & Celebrations) by Trudy Strain Trueit and Ronnie Roonie
This picture book gives a detailed explanation on the purpose and history behind Memorial Day for children who are eager to learn.
- Martha Speaks: Martha Says it with Flowers by Susan Meddaugh
It's Grandma Lucille's birthday and Martha is trying to find the perfect gift to show Grandma Lucille that not only can she be a considerate dog, but that she appreciates Grandma Lucille as well.
More from View, Do, Read
Enjoy this month's View, Do, Read? Explore our archives for more fun ideas!