Introduction/Consent to Terms
No quotes from any material on WHYY Websites may be used in any media without attribution to WHYY.
Any other use of WHYY content requires prior written permission from WHYY. For permission requests, please go to the "Contact Us" page of whyy.org and click on "Request for Use of WHYY Content."
Through certain features of the WHYY Websites, users may post, upload, transmit and/or otherwise submit ("Submit") comments, messages, other text, photos, images, story ideas, essays, and other content and materials, and make recommendations, on or through the WHYY Websites ("User Materials"). You acknowledge that User Materials may be routed through our servers, the servers of one or more third parties on our behalf, and the internet, and may be viewed by WHYY staff and on the internet by the general public. You acknowledge that the WHYY Websites and their features are for public and not private communications.
We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit User Materials at any time and for any reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so. If we elect to screen User Materials, there may be a delay in the posting of such content to allow for a review process. If we have questions about your User Materials, we have the right, but not the duty, to contact you for further information, including, for example, to verify that you own the copyright or otherwise have the rights to post the User Materials.
You retain the copyright and other ownership rights in any User Materials that you submit on or through the WHYY websites.
By submitting User Materials on or though the WHYY Websites, you hereby grant to WHYY and other Content Providers and their respective licensees, a non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide, transferable license to use, copy, sublicense, modify, transmit, publicly perform, display, create derivative works of, host, index, cache, tag, encode and/or adapt your User Materials in any and all media formats or channels, whether now known or hereafter created, including but not limited to, the WHYY Websites, third party licensee websites, over the air (on radio or television), and on mobile platforms, without payment and without further consent or notice to you. You further grant to WHYY and its licensees, the right to contact you in connection with your User Materials and to use your name, city and state and other information that you have provided in connection with the User Materials.
WHYY does not allow framing of the WHYY Websites.
Links to WHYY Websites
WHYY encourages and permits links to content on WHYY Websites. However, WHYY is an organization committed to the highest journalistic standards and to independent, noncommercial journalism, both in fact and appearance. Therefore, the linking should not (a) suggest that WHYY promotes or endorses any third party's causes, ideas, websites, products or services, or (b) use WHYY content for inappropriate commercial purposes or in any way that is unlawful or harmful to any other person or entity or to WHYY. We reserve the right to withdraw permission for any link.
Links to Third Party Sites
WHYY has provided links to internet sites maintained by third parties, over which WHYY has no control. WHYY does not endorse the content, operators, products or services of such sites, and WHYY is not responsible or liable for the content, operators, availability, accuracy, quality, advertising, products, services or other materials on or available from such sites. WHYY is not responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, products or services available on or though such sites.
Use of Third Party Services
WHYY provides podcasts (the "Podcasts") consisting of selected audio content from WHYY and other content providers, available at www.whyy.org, that is provided over the internet using an XML feed and an associated audio file so that the audio file may be downloaded and played from a user's computer or transferred to a portable listening device. Podcasts are available for personal, noncommercial use only. You may download, copy and/or transfer to a portable listening device the Podcasts for your personal, noncommercial use only, provided that you do not modify the content. You also may link to Podcasts from your web site, weblog or similar application, as long as (a) the links redirect the user to the WHYY Websites when the user clicks on them, (b) you do not insert any intermediate page, splash page or other content between the links and the applicable WHYY web page, (c) the linking does not suggest that WHYY promotes or endorses any third party's causes, ideas, websites, products or services, (d) you do not use WHYY content for inappropriate commercial purposes, and (e) you provide attribution to WHYY adjacent to the link. WHYY reserves the right to discontinue providing Podcasts and to require that you cease accessing or using the Podcasts, or any content contained in the Podcasts, at any time for any reason.
WHYY Media Player
WHYY offers an audio and video player for accessing audio and video content on the WHYY Websites (the "WHYY Media Player"). The WHYY Media Player may be embedded or displayed on your personal website, weblog, or similar application for personal, noncommercial purposes, or on your 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Corporation website, weblog, or similar application (if you are not a news organization) for noncommercial purposes, provided that (a) your use is for non-promotional, internet-based purposes only, including desktop gadgets, blog posts and widgets, but excluding e-newsletters; (b) all links redirect the user to the WHYY Websites when the user clicks on them, and all content is streamed from the originating WHYY servers; (c) you will not add to, delete or modify any audio, video, headlines, text, links, or other content contained in the WHYY Media Player; (d) you will not delete or modify the WHYY logos contained in the WHYY Media Player; (e) your use or display of the WHYY Media Player must not suggest that WHYY or any Content Provider promotes or endorses you or any third party or the causes, ideas, websites, products or services of you or any third party; (f) you will not use the WHYY Media Player in any way that changes or distorts the fundamental meaning of the content; and (g) you may not insert any intermediate page, splash page or other content between the links contained within the WHYY Media Player and the WHYY Websites. Any other use of WHYY's trademarks or service marks, the WHYY Media Player, or of any content contained within the WHYY Media Player requires the prior written permission of WHYY. For permission requests, please go to the "Contact Us" page of whyy.org and click on "Request for Use of WHYY Content." WHYY reserves the right to require that you cease accessing or using the WHYY Media Player, or any content contained in the WHYY Media Player, at any time for any reason.
Disclosure of Online Communications
You are cautioned that any online communications, on WHYY Websites or any websites, may not be fully confidential or otherwise remain private. Despite privacy settings and other controls, anything that is sent on the internet is public. In addition, you should be aware that federal postal regulations do not protect electronic mail. WHYY will make its best efforts to safeguard your privacy and will only knowingly disclose any such information if required to do so as a result of a legal proceeding.
Rogue Programming and Viruses
WHYY is not responsible for any computer virus, trojan horse, timebomb, worm, or any other rogue programming ("Rogue Programming") that may be contained in any of the information or software contained on WHYY Websites. WHYY has no obligation to detect the presence of any Rogue Programming. Any downloading of software or other materials or any other use of the information on WHYY Websites is at your risk, and you are advised to take adequate precautions to minimize any loss to your system caused by Rogue Programming, including use of anti-virus programs and proper backup of files. You agree not to post, transmit, or make available in any way through WHYY Websites any software or other materials that contain Rogue Programming.
Rules for Use of the Service
By using the Service, including by registering for the Service, submitting User Materials, using Content Feeds or Podcasts, or by using any other features of the WHYY Websites, you agree to the following rules:
- You must be at least 18 years of age to register for or participate in the social networking features of the WHYY Websites; submit any User Materials or personally-identifying information on or through the WHYY Websites; participate in any online contests; and/or place an order through the WHYY Online Shop. If you are between the ages of 13 and 18, you may browse the WHYY Websites or register for email newsletters or other features of the Service with the consent of your parent(s) or guardian(s), so long as you do not submit any User Materials. If you are under 13 years of age, please do not send any information about yourself, including your name, address or email address. If we discover that we have collected any personally-identifying information from a child under the age of 13, we reserve the right to remove that information from our databases; however we are not under any obligation to do so.
- You may not submit any User Materials anonymously or under a false name or a false email address. You may not impersonate another user or provide any false information about yourself.
- You may not participate in any online contests and/or user loyalty programs, including but not limited to Ben's Ladder, if you are an employee of WHYY or an immediate family member of a WHYY employee.
- You may not submit any User Materials or links to material that is libelous, defamatory, false, obscene, indecent, lewd, pornographic, violent, abusive, threatening, harassing, discriminatory, in violation of the law, harmful to children, in violation of third party privacy rights, or that constitutes hate speech or a personal attack.
- The Service can only be used for personal, non-commercial purposes. You cannot submit any material containing any solicitation of funds, advertising, promotion, solicitation for goods and services, or recruiting. You may not use the WHYY Websites or other Content Provider websites for political campaigning, recruiting votes, or soliciting support for legislative or other initiatives.
- You may not submit any software or other material which contains a virus, worm, Trojan horse or other harmful computer code, files, scripts, agents, programs or device. You may not use the Service to distribute chain letters, mass mailings, "spam," or duplicative or unsolicited messages in violation of applicable laws, or to gather usernames and/or email addresses for the purpose of sending unsolicited email or other communications to other users of the Service.
- You may not interfere with or disrupt the integrity or performance of the WHYY Websites or other Content Provider websites, or any portion or contents thereof, or use these websites in any way which degrades their reliability, speed or operation, or their underlying hardware or software. In addition, you may not attempt to gain unauthorized access to these websites or related systems or networks.
- You agree to comply with the Community Discussion Guidelines, as they may be updated from time to time by WHYY.
The Service and any content, materials, User Materials, features or products available or sold on or through the Service are available on an "as is" and "as available" basis, without any warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including warranties of title or implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. WHYY does not warrant that the Service will be uninterrupted or error-free, nor does WHYY make any warranties as to the results that may be obtained from use of the Service or endorse, recommend, or make any warranties as to the accuracy, reliability or content of, any content, information, materials, User Materials, features, service, products, opinions, or statements available on or through the Service or through links on the Service. Use of this Service is entirely at your own risk.
Content on the WHYY Websites is not intended to substitute for professional advice of any kind. In particular, nothing contained on the WHYY Websites is or should be considered, or used as a substitute for, medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding personal health or medical conditions. Never disregard or avoid professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on the WHYY Websites.
Limitation of Liability
In no event will WHYY, its directors, officers, employees, members, or third party program producers and podcast providers be liable (a) for any indirect, consequential, special, incidental or punitive damages, arising out of the use or inability to use the Service, including without limitation use of or reliance on information available on the WHYY Websites, interruptions, errors, defects, mistakes, omissions, deletions of files, delays in operation or transmission, nondelivery of information, disclosure of communications, or any other failure of performance, (b) relating to any content or products available or sold on or through the Service, or (c) in connection with any third party content or materials (including User Materials) or the defamatory, infringing, offensive or illegal conduct of any third party. In no event will WHYY, its directors, officers, employees, members, or third party program producers and podcast providers be liable for any amount in excess of $100.
Right to Change WHYY Websites
WHYY has the right to change the WHYY Websites, terminate or cease providing the WHYY Websites, or delete content, materials or features in any way, at any time or for any reason or no reason.
The Service is controlled and operated within the United States. WHYY makes no representation that content, materials or products available on or through the Service are appropriate or available for use outside of the United States. If you access the Service from a location outside the United States, you are responsible for compliance with applicable laws, including local laws regarding online conduct and content and United States export laws and regulations.