DHSS Press Release
Date: February 17, 2006
Vincent P. Meconi, Secretary
Jay Lynch, Communications Director
(302) 255-9037, Pager (302) 247-8523
Contact: Heidi Truschel-Light
Phone: (302) 744-4907
Pager: (302) 247-1560
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SURGEON GENERAL, HHS, FEMA TO SPEAK AT PANDEMIC FLU SUMMIT FEB. 21
To continue coordination of planning for a potential pandemic flu outbreak, representatives from federal and state agencies will join Delaware lawmakers, health professionals, educators and business leaders Feb. 21 for a Pandemic Influenza Summit at the Dover Downs Hotel and Conference Center on North Dupont Highway in Dover, Del.
Members of the news media are invited to attend. Photo media identification must be presented to receive a media pass to enter the event. Speaker biographies are available upon request.
WHYY TV will present a live webcast of the event at: http://wmserver.whyy.org/DHSS. The event schedule is as follows:
- 9:00 a.m. Opening Remarks: Secretary David B. Mitchell
Delaware Department of Safety and Homeland Security
- 9:05 a.m. Welcome: Secretary Vincent P. Meconi
Delaware’s Department of Health and Social Services
- 9:10 a.m. Call to Action: Delaware’s Governor Ruth Ann Minner
- 9:30 a.m. A Nation Prepared: Deputy Secretary Alex Michael Azar II
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- 9:45 a.m. Connecting What We Know With How to Prepare: Vice Admiral Richard H. Carmona
U.S. Surgeon General
- 10:05 a.m. Questions from the audience
- 10:15 a.m. Press conference
- 10:30 a.m. Preparing our Nation for Pandemic Influenza: Alfonso Martinez-Fonts,Jr.
Special Assistant to the Secretary for the Private Sector U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- 10:40 a.m. Discussion - How the Public Can Prepare: Alfonso Martinez-Fonts, Jr.
Karin F. Crawford, Program Coordination Branch Chief National Preparedness Division, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Region III
- 11:00 a.m. Pandemic Influenza Roles and Responsibilities for Delaware Jaime H. Rivera, MD,
FAAP, Director, Delaware’s Division of Public Health
- 11:20 a.m. Activation of the Medical Reserve Corps during a Pandemic Influenza Response Robert Rosenbaum, MD,Chairman, Christiana Care Emergency Management Committee
- 11:45 a.m. Lunch
- 1:00 p.m. The Impact of Pandemic Flu on Public Health: Rashid Chotani, MD, MPH Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine, Johns Hopkins University
- 2:15 p.m. Avian Influenza: Recent Agricultural Events: Jack Gelb, Jr., PhD
College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Delaware
- 3:00 p.m. A Systematic Analytic Approach to Pandemic Influenza Preparedness Planning: Daniel J. Barnett, MD, MPH, Instructor, Johns Hopkins Center for Public Health
- 4:00 p.m. Closing Remarks: Secretary David B. Mitchell
Delaware Health and Social Services is committed to improving the quality of the lives of Delaware's citizens by promoting health and well-being, fostering self-sufficiency, and protecting vulnerable populations.