Jim Coleman Recipes
Carolina Shrimp Gumbo
1. In a medium-size pan, melt ½ stick of butter and while mixing with whisk add flour to form a roux and then set aside.
2. In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, add the remaining butter and when it's hot add the scallops and shrimp.
3. Sauté the scallops and shrimp for two to three minutes. Remove cooked scallops and shrimp from pot to allow them to cool.
4. In the pot, sauté the peppers, onions, and celery until the vegetables are translucent. Then, add the Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, corn, okra, diced tomatoes, and water to the pot.
5. Cut smoked sausage into bite size coins and add to pot.
6. Simmer for one hour and add the roux. Simmer until roux cooks out (no lumps and gumbo has thickened).
7. Turn off heat and add gumbo file and reintroduce the shrimp and scallops to the pot. Mix thoroughly. Flavor for seasoning. Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.