Hurley's Health Tips
Jim Coleman Recipes
Fresh "Trouble-Free" Gazpacho
- 5 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 hot pepper (jalapeno or spicier if you like), minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 med/large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- For garnish: 1 ripe but slightly firm avocado peeled and diced
Combine all of the vegetables in a large bowl.
Add the stock, lemon juice and vinegar and stir very briefly. Stir in the fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Chill the soup for at least one hour before serving.
Remove from the refrigerator, stir, and let rest for 1 hour to over-night.
Before serving stir well, then pour in the olive oil over the soup and serve; garnishing each bowl with avocado.