Hurley's Health Tips
Jim Coleman Recipes
Whole Wheat Linguini with Tomatoes
& Walnut Spinach Pesto
- 1 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced lengthwise
- 1 sm red onion, cut in half, thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 med heirloom Tomatoes, diced
- 1 box (13.5 or/up to 1lb) whole wheat linguini
- ¾ c spinach pesto (recipe to follow)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbl freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- ½ c walnuts
- 2 c coarsely chopped, flat leaf spinach leaves
- 8 lg basil leaves, torn in pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbl soft silken tofu
- ¼ c freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain it, reserving ½ cup of the pasta water.
Heat the oil in a skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat and sauté the garlic and red onion for 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes and cook for one more minute.
Add the pesto and 2 tablespoons of the reserved pasta water.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the pasta, toss to combine, adding more of the pasta water if needed to completely coat the pasta with the sauce.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve, topping each plate with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
In a food processor, puree the nuts until finely chopped, 30 seconds.
Add the spinach, basil, and garlic. Puree until they are finely chopped/minced, about 15 seconds.
Add the tofu and cheese. Pulse 3 or 4 times, just to blend. With the motor running, slowly pour in the extra-virgin olive oil.
Season the pesto to taste with a salt and pepper.