Jim Coleman Recipes
Braised Oxtail Tortellini
For the Braised Oxtail you will need:
1. Pre heat oven to 350°
2. Bring oxtail to room temperature for at least an hour
3. On medium heat not high heat pre heat a large heavy braising pan or ovenproof casserole dish large enough to hold the oxtail. Add oil and heat until it shimmers not smoking.
4. Season oxtail to taste with salt and pepper. Add to the hot pan and brown on all sides.
5. Transfer the oxtail to a plate. Add onions, celery, and carrots to same pan and sauté, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
6. Pour off excess fat, then deglaze pan with Red & White Wine, scraping any browned bits from bottom of pan. Reduce the wine by three-quarters until thick and slightly syrupy, about 15 minutes.
7. Return the oxtail to the pan, and then add veal stock and enough water to nearly cover. Bring to a boil, cover with foil, and braise in the oven until meat is fork-tender, 2-2 ½ hours.
8. Allow the oxtail to cool in liquid, then cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight.
9. The next day, remove the oxtail and strain the braising liquid. Cook until liquid has reduced by three-quarters, about 1 hour. Continue to cook until sauce is thick Reserve liquid for the sauce.
10. Pull or dice the oxtail meat; reserve for Tortellini or reserve steamship for service.
For the sauce you will need:
1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add shallot and 2 cups Madeira, increase heat to medium, and reduce to syrup, 15-20 minutes.
2. Add chicken stock and continue to cook until reduced to syrup, about 30 minutes.
3. Add braising liquid. Reduce heat to low; add remaining 1 tbsp. Madeira. Cover and keep warm
For Sautéed Arugula & Chanterelle Mushroom you will need:
1. Sauté mushrooms in the butter over high heat until dry
2. Add shallots sauté for 1 min add Arugula
3. Wilt Arugula season with salt and pepper
To assemble and serve the Tortellini:
1. Sauté onions in 1 tablespoon butter with brown sugar over medium heat until deep golden brown. Cool to room temperature.
2. Cut pasta sheets into 5" squares.
3. Mix together oxtail meat, goat cheese, breadcrumbs, caramelized onion, orange juice and mix to combine season with salt and pepper.
4. Place a large heaping table spoon of oxtail mixture into center of pasta square.
5. Using your finger rub the egg wash around the out side of the pasta.
6. Fold pasta in half so one corner meets the other corner to form a triangle.
7. Seal the edges by pressing them together.
8. Rub a dollop of egg wash on the out side corners and pull them together to form a large Tortellini, refrigerate covered until needed.
To serve tortellini
1. Bring 2qt of salted water to a boil and cook tortellini until they float.
2. Place in a serving bowl spoon over sauce, top with sautéed Arugula & chanterelle mushroom.