Jim Coleman Recipes
Freshly Dug Potato and Mushroom Soup
For this recipe you will need:
1. Place the bacon in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes. This makes it easier to dice. Small dice the bacon and place in a large saucepot over medium high heat. Cook until crisp and remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels and set aside.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, celery and garlic. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes and then add the mushrooms (and the tarragon if using dried) and turn the heat to medium-high.
3. Continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes and add the white wine which helps release the moisture of the mushrooms. Once the mushrooms are tender (do not brown them), add the potatoes and stock.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for approximately 10 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
5. Either transfer to a food processor, or using a hand blender, puree until smooth. If using a food processor, return the soup to the pan and add in the milk.
6. Bring the soup back to a simmer, reduce the heat and add the tarragon (if using fresh). Taste and adjust seasonings using salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls garnishing with diced bacon and chives.