Jim Coleman Recipes
Almond Cake with Honey-Orange Glaze
Serves: 4 to 6
For the Cake you will need:
For the Syrup you will need:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. To prepare the cake, place the almonds and ½ cup of the granulated sugar in a food processor and grind together. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and mix in the flour, cinnamon, and allspice.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the remaining 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar for about 10 minutes, or until very thick. Whisk in the melted butter and the zest, and then fold in the almond mixture.
4. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 1 hours, or until a toothpick or sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Meanwhile, to prepare the syrup, place the orange juice, honey, confectioners' sugar, and ¼ cup water in a saucepan set over medium-low heat. Warm through, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
6. Remove the cake from the oven and drizzle the warm syrup over the cake.
7. Let the cake sit for 30 minutes to absorb the syrup. Cut the cake into squares and transfer to serving plates.