Jim Coleman Recipes
Chef's Table Short Ribs
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: About two hours (with little labor)
For this recipe you will need:
1. Season short ribs with salt and pepper; be rather generous. In a mixing bowl, whisk together zinfandel, puree, tomatoes, beef broth, thyme, bay leaves, and a pinch of salt.
2. Put oil into a heavy pot and place over med-high heat. When oil is hot, working in small batches, brown the meat. Turn each piece to brown on all sides before removing from the pot.
3. When all beef is browned and removed from pot, add garlic, onion, carrots, and celery, cooking until it just begins to turn light browned, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Return beef to the pot along with wine mixture. Allow wine to come to a boil before reducing heat, skimming fat from surface.
5. After simmering for several minutes, add olives. Cover and simmer over very low heat until meat is fork tender and nearly falling off the bone, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
6. Once the beef has cooked, remove from pot and keep warm. Turn up heat and reduce the pot liquids until thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
7. Transfer ribs to four dinner bowls, spooning liquid over top.