Jim Coleman Recipes
Wild Mushroom & Salsify in Phyllo with Tarragon Jus
For this recipe you will need:
For the filling:
For the Tarragon Jus:
For the Phyllo:
1. To prepare the filling, coat a saute pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add the salsify and saute over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and shallots, and continue sauteing for 1 minute. Stir in the mushrooms and saute for 2-3 minutes, until all the liquid has evaporated.
3. Deglaze the pan with the wine. Add the stock, scallions, tarragon, parsley and rosemary and continue cooking over high heat until almost all of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 400*.
5. Lay out a sheet of the phyllo dough on a flat work surface and lightly brush with water.
6. Top with another phyllo sheet, brush with water, and repeat with the remaining phyllo sheets, stacking them as you go. Cut the stacked phyllo into 6 equal squares, and spoon about 1/4 cup of the filling in the center of each square.
7. Bring the corners of each square inwards, meeting in the center, and then pinch the dough to seal it tightly. Transfer the phyllo to a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
8. To prepare the jus, combine the vegetable broth, garlic and shallots in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and stir in the tarragon.
9. Mix together the cornstarch and wine in a cup, and then whisk into the jus. Continue simmering for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally, until the jus thickens.
10. To serve, ladle about 1/2 cup of the jus in the center of each serving bowl. Place the phyllo on top of the jus and serve immediately.