Jim Coleman Recipes
Makes one 9-inch cake
For this recipe you will need:
Note: At the City Tavern Chef uses plain walnuts for the crust. The addtion of graham cracker crumbs is less traditional, but easier to make.
1. Preheat the oven to 350*F.
2. Prepare the Filling: In a mixing bowl, stir together the parmesan cheese, cream cheese, egg yolks and sugar. Add the lemon juice and zest and mix well to incorporate.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and gently fold into the cheese mixture. Set aside.
4. Prepare the Crust: Blend together the cracker crumbs, walnuts, sugar and melted butter. Grease a 9 x 3-inch springform cake pan with butter and press the crust into the bottom and about 2 inches up the sides. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove.
5. Pour the cheese mixture on top of the crust and return to the oven for another 25 to 30 minutes, until nearly set in the middle when shaken and slightly puffy.
6. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
7. Prepare the Topping: Just before serving, whisk together the cream, sour cream and sugar until stiff and serve on the side with the cake.