Jim Coleman Recipes
For this recipe you will need:
1. Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round mixing bowl or deep 8-inch square container with foil. Spread ice creams in three layers in the container, packing firmly. Cover and freeze 8 hours or until firm.
2. Cut sponge cut horizontally to create a 1 1/2 inch thick cake round and, if desired, brush with Gran Marnier or Cherry Brandy
3. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar, salt and sugar until stiff peaks form.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment or heavy brown paper. Place cake in center. Turn molded ice cream out onto cake. Quickly and evenly spread meringue over cake and ice cream, all the way around and down to paper to seal completely. Make sure there are no air pockets. Return to freezer 2 hours.
5. Turn oven broiler on high.
6. Bake the Alaska on the lowest shelf, until meringue is completely browned. Serve at once.
Makes 12 - 16 servings